Company Name : TCS
Type : Fresher
Job Interview Paper: TCS Recruitment Experience
This is niveditha I would like to share my experience of recently concluded TCS
recruitment in our campus on 15th and 16th of Dec. Well I consider myself really
fortunate enough to have ended in the successful side. Many of us have a general
feeling that since TCS is taking in large numbers so getting placed in TCS is a
Cakewalk, but I would not totally but partially disagree. I mean yeah for few it
can be a Cakewalk but not are fortunate enough.
TCS dates were given well in advance. About 15 days before. And the news coming
from different colleges and students participating for TCS campus recruitment
weren’t that pleasing. So it made me to realize that a great amount of effort
was needed to make myself selected for TCS.
For us the recruitment had three rounds.
- TR round (technical interview)
- HR round
For us the top 5 rankers were exempted from aptitude and they received direct
entry to round 2.
But I was not lucky enough to get Green Channel. So I had to prepare for the
ROUND 1: (APTITUDE)
Nearly 358 members appeared and around 210 cleared the aptitude round.
The questions that will appear here are not that difficult but they were tricky.
And it involved lot of logical thinking behind each and every question.
This year we didn’t had any verbal section (Thank God…!) But we can’t be sure
about next year’s pattern. So better be prepared for anything.
Below I am giving a sample screen shot of my mock paper; this will help you out
in understanding this pattern.
You will be provided with training by our college management. And I must tell
THIS WILL BE REALLY USEFULL…
There will be total of 35 questions given. And you will get a total of 80 min to
solve them. Beware there is negative marks (1/3rd). And there even could be
upper and lower cut off marks. For us there was no upper cut off. And we were
not sure of the lower cut either.
After writing we were waiting for the results, which came out in the evening.
ROUND 2: (TECHNICAL ROUND)
My technical round was scheduled in the morning and I was really prepared for
it. Generally it will be enough if you are perfect with 3 languages (C, C++, and
java) and 2 or 3 other core subjects (OS, DBMS, SE or anything else). They can
ask you your areas of interest. But this is not compulsory or mandatory. So I
would suggest you to learn basics of almost all important core subjects.
Here is the way my interview started.
I entered the room, greeted him.
TR: Good morning. Take your seat.
ME: (I sat) thank you sir.
TR: So Mr. Shahabaj. Tell me something about yourself.
(This is a real tricky question which can really make or break your interview.
So be prepared and construct a unique answer)
ME: I answered.
TR: How many days are there in a semester?
ME: sir, 180 (approx.)
TR: How many hours are there in a sem?
TR: What are your hobbies?
Next few questions were on my hobbies.
TR: Tell me about your project in BHEL?
He looked really satisfied after my answer and was happy.
TR: Anything you want to ask me?
ME: thank you for this offer, but at present I don’t have anything to ask you
TR: Nice talking with you. All the best for next rounds.
ME: thank you sir.
After a sort of satisfying TR interview I was confident for getting selected for
I got a call for HR round in about 45 min after my TR interview.
ROUND 3: (HR INTERVIEW)
Preparation wise be perfect with some most frequently asked questions like
1) tell me about yourself
2) why only tcs
3) why should I hire u
4) strengths and weaknesses
5) After 5 yrs where would you find your self in TCS.
6) You have to pay 50,000 if u break the bond. Will u pay??
My HR round didn’t last for more than 5 min.
I entered the room greeted the lady.
She was really cheerful. And I was basically asked question on my hobbies and
other basic stuffs.
Since I was not a native of AP she asked me questions about it. And even I was
asked few general questions about AIR FORCE and WEST BENGAL.
My HR round was over at around 2:30 pm. Then started a long long wait of about 8
hours or so. Results came at 10:30 pm. And when I heard my name I was ecstatic,
Around 121 members were selected from our college.
Do’s and Don'ts
1) Prepare the selected subjects and for aptitude well in advance.
2) Complete it
well before 24 hrs when the recruitment starts. Last minute preparation will
make you lose everything you studied.
3) Be as fast as you can.
4) Be prepared with what all you filled your resume. Because whole of your
interview will be based on those two pages of resume.
5) Make your resume look neat, short (2 pages), and only include correct
information. HR’s will be much intelligent too validate your resume.
5) Be confident at the interview. Have a sound sleep before the previous night of
the interview, be fresh and more over eat well.
6) Be perfect with most frequently asked questions. Tell it yourself a couple of
6) Be prepared with a good question about TCS .You should be ready to ask a
question if you were given a question.
7) Always try to answer the question. If you say I don’t know, it immediately
show your lack of interest to answer the question.
8) Be perfect in some latest advancements in technology in your area/field.
Sometimes these are also asked.
9) Scan through the company profiles of sister companies and big giants in
software. MRs sometimes ask questions not only about TCS but also ask about
other companies. For example “who is the Coe of apple computers”.
10) Greet the interviewer while entering the cabin and while leaving the cabin
.Its a must.
11) If your ordered anything like tea/snacks, its your wish to take it or not. If
you take it, its must to thank him. And if you don’t want ,say him “No thanks”.
12) If you have any seminars, paper presentations or any as such, mention them in
your resume. When interviewer asks about it, you can eat up 5-10 mins of the
1) Never try to show that the interviewer is wrong. It will hurt his ego.
2) Don’t try to be over smart. Sometimes you will be easily caught.
3) Don’t lean too much or don’t be much relaxed when sitting before the
4) Don’t get panic if you are insulted or scolded by interviewer .Its just a
tactic played by them. Show a positive response in such a situation.
5) Don’t put unnecessary things in your resume. Sometimes it will bring a
negative impression on your resume.
6) Don’t utter a word about your higher education. The immediate next question
is “if you are planning for higher education then why should we recruit you”.
Hopefully this will help you out.
Exam/Interview Date : 16-Dec-2010
No of Rounds : Aptitude Test, Technical Round-1, Client/Manager Interview
Location : Hyderabad
Contributor Name : Shahabaj