Engineers India Limited | Placement Question Paper - 15 March 2009
Paper consists of 2 parts: 1. Non-tech. (50 ques.) , 2. Technical (100
ques.) Duration: 2 hrs
Here we are submitting you the ques we remembered....
Out of 50 ques hardly 3-4 were of general English, no ques.is from aptitude the
rest all were GK ques.
1. Which country is rich in thorium..
2. "Eco Mark" is used on products which are:
Ans. Eco friendly.
3. Animax channel belong to which of the following:
a) sony pictures, b)zee, c)star, d)disney
4. first nuclear plant in India was set up at:
5. Recently India has done "Science Express Deal" with which of the following
a) Germany, b) Japan, c) China, d) Russia
6. Pandit Jwaharlal Nehru award was given first time to the president of
which of the following countries:
a) Brazil, b) Mexico, c) Austria, d ) Sweden.
7. Kaziranga National Park is Famous for:
a) Rhino, b) Zebra, etc....
8. APJ Abdulklam is related to which of the following missiles:
a) ASLV, b) GSLV, c) SLV,etc..
9. Progen is theBPO of which company:
a)Satyam, b) Wipro, c) Infosys,etc..
10. Bharat Parvasi Divas is celebrated on which day:
Ans. 9th nov.
11. Pongal is the festival belongs to which state:
a) Kerela, b) Karnatka, c) Orissa, etc..
12. Which dance is known as the "Ballet ofEast":
a) kathak, b)bharatnatyam, c) kuchipudi, d) manipuri
13. Sunderbans are famous for:
a) Mangroves, b) Tropical forests, etc..
14. The famous Golfer Vijay Singh belongs to which country:
a) Fiiji, b) keniya, c) Maldives, etc..
15. LTTE is related to which country:
16. Which of the following is not included in new 7 wonders:
a) Taj Mahal, b) TheGrand
Canyon, c) machhi Puchhi, etc..
17. Who is known as the father of modren biology?
a) Charles Darwin, etc...
18. P.Sainath is related to which of the following:
a) TV Anchoring, b) Drama, c) Mountaineering, etc...
19. The elephants, the tiger, the cell is written by:
a) Sashi Throor, etc....
20. Anandmath is written by which author:
a) Rabindernath Tagore, b)BC Chatterji, c) Premchand, etc...
21. Bessel 2 norms are related to:
a) Cyber crimes, etc...
22. Steve Fosset is related to:
a) Crocodile Hunting, etc...
23. Dr. MS Swaminathan is related to :
a) planning comission, b) sixth pay comission, c) national
farmers comission, etc..
24. First soundless movie of Bolyywood:
Ans. Alam Ara
25. What is the meaning of Dime a Dozen...?
a) easy to get, b) easily available,etc...
26. Nightmare: Dream
a) Dread: Expectation, b) Frustration: Confusion,etc..
27. Meaning of
a) to deny, b) Unusual, etc...
28. Golden Arches is related to which of the following:
a) KFC, b) Mcdonals,etc...
29. Meaning of: "The way the wind blows" :
a) way the things were , b) way the things are, etc...
30. I would hope that you ____ take tea with me 2mrw.
a)shall, b) will, c) would, d) could
31. In Ambulance which of the aural postural balance is difficult to
a) nose, b) eyes, c) ears, d) hands
32. the next olympics wiil be held in which country:
a) london, b) New York, c) Paris, d) Switzerland
33. Where is the OPEC head office located?
Part-2 (Technical-100 ques.)
1. Dimensions of Power:
a) M1L2T-3, b) M1L2T-2, c) M1L1T-3, etc...
2. Torque in Induction Motor is directly proportional to:
a) V, b) V(pwr)2, c) V(pwr)3, d) V(pwr)1/2
3. Power in Transmission lines is proportional to:
a) V, b) V(pwr)2, c) V(pwr)3, d)V(pwr)1/2
4. Flashover at the surface of condenser bushings is due to:
a) moisture in air, etc..
5. When Surge impedence equal characterstic impedance then :
a) Vs = Vr, b) Vs> Vr, c) Vs< Vr, etc..
6. Stability limit is higher in:
a) Steady state, b) Transient state, c) Sub transient state, etc..
7. Those instruments which give constants and direction only are called:
a) Secondary type, b) Absolute type, c) Deflection type, d)
8. The internal resistance of a meter is 4 ohm and current drawn is 30mA. If
we want to increase its range as voltmeter upto 150V then find out the series
resistance added in the circuit?
Ans. 4996 ohm
9. 1 ques like... If relay settingis at 125% and the CT ratio is 400/5, then
the fault current in hv winding is?
Ans. 6.25 amp.
10. If capacitve reactanceof a 200 km line is 2000 ohm then what will be the
charging reactance of a 100 km line?
a) 2000 ohm, b) 4000ohm, c) 500 ohm, d) 8000ohm.
11. Which is wrong:
a) Transient response is frequency domain.
b) Routh criteria is stability based.
c) Nyquist is time domain.
12. With the increase in feedback of the system which will increase:
a) stability, b) gain, etc...
13. Mechanical stress is max. at which part of the cable:
a) core, b) sheath, etc...
14. Underground cable laying is done by:
ans. conduits and piping.
15. Operation and maintenance cost is min. in which of the following plants:
a) Thermal, b) Nuclear, c) Hydel, d) Diesel.
16. 1 ques like.... earliest power plant is:
a) Thermal, b) Nuclear, c) Unconventional, etc....
arcing contacts are made of which material:
a) copper tungsten alloy, b) copper, c) silver, d) graphite.
18. The reflection coefficient for voltage of a short circuited line is:
a) -1, b) 1, c) 0, d) 2
19. Double cage rotor is used in Induction motor is toimprove:
Ans. starting torque.
20. If resistance of the secondary winding of the
transformer is given as .02ohm and reactance .06ohm then find out
the primary resistance and reactance respectively:
Ans. .08 ohm and .24ohm
21. Skewing in the squirrel cage rotor of Induction motor is purposely done
Ans. to avoid interlocking and reduce noise.
22. 1 ques like.......capacitance of 3phase line is given 4microF. if we
consider single line to groundthen its capacitance will be:
a) 4microF, b) 2microF, c) 1microF, d) 8microF
23. The normal frequency RMS voltage that appears across the breaker poles
after final arc extinction is known as:
Ans. Recovery voltage
24. 1 ques like...... In power factor meter , which element is used as shunt
a) silver, b) copper, c) manganin, etc...
25. 1 ques like...If anode of the SCR is made positive and cathode is made
negative thenit will be:
Ans. forward biased and conducting.
26. 1 ques like.... Natural commutation is done in...
a) cycloconverters, b) choppers, c) AC voltage controllers, etc.
27. 1 ques was based on....... Class B insulation isdone in :
a) DC choppers , etc.....
28.the highestrange of temperatureof insulations is...
29. temperature of the boiler furnace is measured by:
Ans. optical pyrometer
nearly, b) decreases exponentially, c) increases, d) remains same.1.
On increasing the frequency of the transformer , hysterisis loss and eddy
current loss respectively:
a) decreases and remains same, b) decreases and increases, c) both
increases , d) both decreases.
32. Rotor copper losses are small in Induction Motor as compared to
Ans. Rotor core is laminated.
33. 1 ques like.... arrange the following in ascending order:
resistance split, capacitor start capacitor run etc motors were given...
34. Which type of turbine is used in tydel powergeneration:
a) Kaplan, b) Fransis, c) Pelton Wheel type, d) Reverse type.
35. Which of the following is the distribution3 phase voltage:
a)220V, b)415 V, c) 680 V, d) 800 V.
36. Which of the following bridges is usedto measuredielectric losses in
a) Schearing Bridge, b) Wein's Bridge, c) De-Sauty Bridge, d)
37. 1 ques is based on..... Cros have which of the following...
a) Vertical and Horizontal plates, b) sweep, etc...
38. 1 ques like..... A full wave centre tap thyristor is given.. find out
the PIV..? dnt remember exactly some values were given...
a) 141.3 V, b) 100 V, c) 248.2 V, etc...
39.Speedof the InductionMotor at full load is 1400 rpm , what will be the
speed at half the load...
a)1400rpm, b) 1420rpm, c) 1440rpm, d) 1460rpm.
40. The line feeding from distribution system to the consumers is called:
a) feeder, b) service mains, c) distributor, etc...
41. Which of the following generation plant is most reliable.
ans. Interconnected system.
42. 1 ques like.... load current in thyristor depends upon.....
a) delay angle and load type, b) delay angle but not on load type,
c) only delay angle, etc...
43. Buchholz relay is:
a) a gas actuated relay, b) current sensitive relay, c) overcurrent
relay, d) over voltage relay.
44. Diac is a:
a) 4 terminal2junction device, b) 3 terminal 2 junction device, c)
5 terminal 3 junction device, d) 6 terminal 3 junction device.
Ans. 1 converter and 1 inverter.
45. Dual converter consists of:
46. Slip is min. for which of the following machine:
a) 25HP,4 Pole , b) 1HP, 4 pole, c) 2 HP , 6 pole, d) 25 HP, 6
47. In Air Blast circuit breakers the air pressure inside is:
a) 1kg/cm2, b) 100 mm of Hg , c) 20-30 kg/cm2, d) 200-300
48. 1Barrel contains how much litres:
a) 216, b) 159, etc....
49. DC Choppers are used to convert:
a) DC to DC, b) AC to DC, c) AC to AC, etc....
50. 1 ques like.... how the corona effect varies with size and frequency, it
a) increasing size and reducing supply frequency, b) reducing size and
incresing supply frequency, etc...
51. 1 ques was based on..... in frequency variable method which of the
following factor is kept constant:
a) V/f = constant, b) Vf = constant, c)V=constant, d) none of
52. 1 ques was based on ..... relation of Voltage with load angle delta.....
a) V/1-& , b) V/1+&, c) 1-&/&V, d) &/(1-&)V
53. 1 ques like.... Universal motor is:
a) frequency dependent, b) frequency independent, etc...
54. If CT winding connections are made in star/delta on the primary side of
the T/F then CT connections on the secondary side winding of T/F will be:
55. slip rings in DC machines are made of:
a) carbon, b) graphite, c) copper alloy, d) copper.
56. 1 ques like.... bending radius of the cable should be:
a) D, b)2D, c) 3D, d) 4D
57. 1 ques like..... In cycloconverters the O/P frequency power factor will
bw as compared to I/P frequency power factor:
a) higher, b) lower, c) same..
58. In higher rating transformers the tank is of the following type:
a) radiator, b) oil tank, c) seperator, etc.
59. Merz Price protection is used in :
a) Alternator, b) Transmission lines, c) Transformer, etc.
d) moving coil type, e) moving iron type, etc.
61. Differential relay is:
a) over current relay, b) over voltage relay, etc.
62. 1 ques like....Two transformers are connected in parallel R/X is
smthing..... then the currents in the two T/F will be:
a) Ia lags Ib , b) Ia leads Ib, c) both will be in phase, etc....
63. skin effect does not depend upon:
Ans. ambient temperature.
64. 1 ques like.... AC resistance is more due to....
Ans. skin effect
65. Human body gets shock due to:
a) static charge discharging of body, b) voltage induced in the
body, c) current induced in the body, d)none of these.
66. Heavy water in nuclear reactor is used as:
a) accelerating agent, b) decclerating agent, c) lubricating
agent, d) cooling agent.
67. specifications of earth plate are:
a) 60* 60*12.5 , b) 90*90*12.5 , etc.
68. Distance of ground electrode from building is:
a) 1m, b) 2m, c) 3m , d)4m
69. Why earth pit is filled with alternate layers of salt and
Ans. to reduce earth's resistance.
70. If cos& is a power factor, then MVAR ia proportional to:
a) cos&, b) sin&, etc...
71. 1 ques like.....why central phase is reversed.....(smthing dnt remember
72. capacitors are connected where at the transmission line:
a) at sending end, b) at receiving end, c)in the middle of the
73. Which gas is used in the gas fired prime
gas power plants:
a) LPG, b) CNG, etc.