The temperature at Mumbai is given by the function: -t2/6+4t+12 where t is the
elapsed time since midnight. What is the percentage rise (or fall) in
temperature between 5.00PM and 8.00PM?
22) Low temperature at the night in a city is 1/3 more than 1/2 high as higher
temperature in a day. Sum of the low temperature and highest temp. is 100
degrees. Then what is the low temp?
Sol) Let highest temp be x
so low temp=1/3 of x of 1/2 of x plus x/2 i.e. x/6+x/2
Lowest temp is 40
23) In Madras, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/2 + 8t + 3, where t
is elapsed time. Find how much temperature more or less in 4pm to 9pm.
Ans. At 9pm 7.5 more
Sol) In equestion first put t=9,
we will get 34.5...........................(1)
now put t=4,
we will get 27..............................(2)
24) A person had to multiply two numbers. Instead of multiplying by 35, he
multiplied by 53 and the product went up by 540. What was the raised product?
Sol) x*53-x*35=540=> x=30 therefore, 53*30=1590 Ans
25) How many positive integer solutions does the equation 2x+3y = 100 have?
Sol) There is a simple way to answer this kind of Q's given 2x+3y=100, take
l.c.m of 'x' coeff and 'y' coeff i.e. l.c.m of 2,3 ==6then divide 100 with 6 ,
which turns out 16 hence answer is 16short cut formula--- constant / (l.cm of x
coeff and y coeff)
26) The total expense of a boarding house are partly fixed and partly variable
with the number of boarders. The charge is Rs.70 per head when there are 25
boarders and Rs.60 when there are 50 boarders. Find the charge per head when
there are 100 boarders.
Let a = fixed cost and k = variable cost and n = number of boarders
total cost when 25 boarders c = 25*70 = 1750 i.e. 1750 = a + 25k
total cost when 50 boarders c = 50*60 = 3000 i.e. 3000 = a + 50k
solving above 2 eqns, 3000-1750 = 25k i.e. 1250 = 25k i.e. k = 50
therefore, substituting this value of k in either of above 2 eqns we get
a = 500 (a = 3000-50*50 = 500 or a = 1750 - 25*50 = 500)
so total cost when 100 boarders = c = a + 100k = 500 + 100*50 = 5500
so cost per head = 5500/100 = 55
27) Amal bought 5 pens, 7 pencils and 4 erasers. Rajan bought 6 pens, 8 erasers
and 14 pencils for an amount which was half more than what Amal had paid. What %
of the total amount paid by Amal was paid for pens?
d) None of these
Let, 5 pens + 7 pencils + 4 erasers = x rupees
so 10 pens + 14 pencils + 8 erasers = 2*x rupees
also mentioned, 6 pens + 14 pencils + 8 erarsers = 1.5*x rupees
so (10-6) = 4 pens = (2-1.5)x rupees
so 4 pens = 0.5x rupees => 8 pens = x rupees
so 5 pens = 5x/8 rupees = 5/8 of total (note x rupees is total amt paid
i.e 5/8 = 500/8% = 62.5% is the answer
28) I lost Rs.68 in two races. My second race loss is Rs.6 more than the first
race. My friend lost Rs.4 more than me in the second race. What is the amount
lost by my friend in the second race?
x + x+6 = rs 68
2x + 6 = 68
2x = 68-6
2x = 62
x is the amt lost in I race
x+ 6 = 31+6=37 is lost in second race
then my friend lost 37 + 4 = 41 Rs
29) Ten boxes are there. Each ball weighs 100 gms. One ball is weighing 90 gms.
i) If there are 3 balls (n=3) in each box, how many times will it take to find
90 gms ball?
ii) Same question with n=10
iii) Same question with n=9
(i) nC1= 3C1 =3 for 10 boxes .. 10*3=30
(ii) 10C1=10 for 10 boxes ....10*10=100
for 10 boxes .....10*9=90
30) (1-1/6) (1-1/7).... (1- (1/ (n+4))) (1-(1/ (n+5))) = ?
leaving the first numerater and last denominater, all the numerater and
denominater will cancelled out one another.
31) A face of the clock is divided into three parts. First part hours total is
equal to the sum of the second and third part. What is the total of hours in the
Sol) the clock normally has 12 hr
three parts x,y,z
so the largest part is 6 hrs
32) With 4/5 full tank vehicle travels 12 miles, with 1/3 full tank how much
Sol) 4/5 full tank= 12 mile
1 full tank= 12/(4/5)
1/3 full tank= 12/(4/5)*(1/3)= 5 miles
33) wind blows 160 miles in 330min.for 80 miles how much time required
Sol) 160 miles= 330 min
1 mile = 330/160
80 miles=(330*80)/160=165 min.
34) A person was fined for exceeding the speed limit by 10mph.another person was
also fined for exceeding the same speed limit by twice the same if the second
person was travelling at a speed of 35 mph. find the speed limit
solving the eqn we get x=15
35) A sales person multiplied a number and get the answer is 3 instead of that
number divided by 3. what is the answer he actually has to get.
Sol) Assume 1
1* 3 = 3
so he has to got 1/3
this is the exact answer
36) A person who decided to go weekend trip should not exceed 8 hours driving in
a day average speed of forward journey is 40 mph due to traffic in Sundays the
return journey average speed is 30 mph. How far he can select a picnic spot.
37) Low temperature at the night in a city is 1/3 more than 1/2 hinge as higher
temperature in a day. Sum of the low temp and high temp is 100 c. then what is
the low temp.
Ans is 40 c.
Sol) let x be the highest temp. then,
therefore, x=60 which is the highest temp
and 100-x=40 which is the lowest temp.
38) car is filled with four and half gallons of oil for full round trip. Fuel is
taken 1/4 gallons more in going than coming. What is the fuel consumed in coming
Sol) let feul consumed in coming up is x. thus equation is:
39) A work is done by the people in 24 min. One of them can do this work alone
in 40 min. How much time required to do the same work for the second person
Sol) Two people work together in 24 mins.
So, their one day work is
One man can complete the work in 40mins
one man's one day work (1/B)= (1/40)
So, A can complete the work in 60 mins.
40) In a company 30% are supervisors and 40% employees are male if 60% of
supervisors are male. What is the probability? That a randomly chosen employee
is a male or female?
Sol) 40% employees are male if 60% of supervisors are male so for 100% is
26.4%so the probability is 0.264
41) In 80 coins one coin is counterfeit what is minimum number of weighing to
find out counterfeit coin
Sol) the minimum number of wieghtings needed is just 5.as shown below
42) 2 oranges, 3 bananas and 4 apples cost Rs.15. 3 oranges, 2 bananas, and 1
apple costs Rs 10. What is the cost of 3 oranges, 3 bananas and 3 apples?
x+y+z=5 that is for 1 orange, 1 bannana and 1 apple requires 5Rs.
so for 3 orange, 3 bannana and 3 apple requires 15Rs.
43) In 8*8 chess board what is the total number of squares refers
Sol) odele discovered that there are 204 squares on the board We found that you
would add the different squares - 1 + 4 + 9 + 16+ 25 + 36 + 49 + 64.
Also in 3*3 tic tac toe board what is the total no of squares
Ans 14 ie 9+4(bigger ones)+1 (biggest one)
If you ger 100*100 board just use the formula
the formula for the sum of the first n perfect squares is
n x (n + 1) x (2n + 1)
if in this formula if you put n=8 you get your answer 204
44) One fast typist type some matter in 2hr and another slow typist type the
same matter in 3hr. If both do combinely in how much time they will finish.
Sol) Faster one can do 1/2 of work in one hourslower one can do 1/3 of work in
one hourboth they do (1/2+1/3=5/6) th work in one hour.so work will b finished
in 6/5=1.2 hour i e 1 hour 12 min.
45) If Rs20/- is available to pay for typing a research report & typist A
produces 42 pages and typist B produces 28 pages. How much should typist A
Here is the answer Find of 42 % of 20 rs with respect to 70 (i.e 28 + 42) ==>
(42 * 20 )/70 ==> 12 Rs
46) An officer kept files on his table at various times in the order
1,2,3,4,5,6. Typist can take file from top whenever she has time and type
it.What order she cann't type.?
47) In some game 139 members have participated every time one fellow will get
bye what is the number of matches to choose the champion to be held?
the answer is 138 matches
Sol) since one player gets a bye in each round,he will reach the finals of the
tournament without playing a match. therefore 137 matches should be played to
detemine the second finalist from the remaining 138 players(excluding the 1st
player) therefore to determine the winner 138 matches shd be played.
48) One rectangular plate with length 8inches, breadth 11 inches and 2 inches
thickness is there. What is the length of the circular rod with diameter 8
inches and equal to volume of rectangular plate?
Sol) Vol. of rect. plate= 8*11*2=176
area of rod=(22/7)*(8/2)*(8/2)=(352/7)
vol. of rod=area*length=vol. of plate
so length of rod= vol of