: TCS Placement Paper Pattern 2007 (S
This is Debashis Dan of CSE from Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur,
near Bangalore. TCS came to our college on 2nd, 3rd April.
Total no of eligible candidates : 509
Cleared written : 284
Finally selected : 195
Eligibilty criteria in our college : 60% in 10th, 12th, engg.. 2 current
Pay : 3.15 lacs per annum
The aptitude test was online. Consisting of 3 sections:
10 synonyms, 10 antonyms , 12 sentence completions.
TOTAL TIME : 20 mins
Some of the words i remember are : (inclusive of synonyms n antonyms)
For this section do all previous year TCS words. But this is not always enough,
coz i got some difficult words other than these which were not there in previous
year papers. if u've time, better do the wordlists (750 words or so) from
barrons... i mean the exercises given.
Sentence completion consisted of 2 passages :
Passage 1: relating to dust harming machines in a factory & its adverse
effect on our health...
Passage 2: Investing in shares...
Here there was blanks in the passage where we had to insert the appropriate
sentence from the list of given options. Each passage had 6 such blanks to be
Suggestion : My
sincere suggection is dont waste more than 4 - 5 minutes on synonyms n antonyms.
coz, sentence completion takes a hell lotta time as all the options given are
nearly similar n confusing. But u can easily score well in this sent comp part
if u do carefully.
32 questions, 40 mins
For this part do prev year papers very well. almost 90% common questions came.
some questions had the data a bit changed.
some which i remember are :
1. whats the largest prime no. that can b stored in an 8-bit memory?
2. In the word SENSATIONAL 1st letter is interchanged with 2nd, 3rd with 4th,
5th with 6th and so on. what is the 10th letter ?
3. In a 2D array, X(9,7) with each element occupying 2 bytes of memory, find the
address of X(8,5). Given address of X(1,1) is 3000.
4. Select odd one out : Windows NT, Linux, C++, (some other operating system..
cant recall its name)
5. Select odd one :
6. A man n child can do a work in 6 days. Man can alone do it in 24 days. How
long will the child take?
7. Convert 342 (in decimals) to base 5.
8. No. of faces, vertices n edges of a cuboid is : ?
9. If M denotes modulus, R denote round off, T denote truncation, the find the
value of :
M(373,5) + R(3.4) + T(7.7) + R(5.8)
10. G(0) = -1, G(1) = 1, G(n) = G(n-1) + G(n-2). then G(5) = ?
11. At a particular place the temperature varies as t^2/2 + 8t + 3. where t is
elapsed time. find the temp differnce between 6 pm and 9 pm.
12. which of these set of angles doesnt represent a triangle :
c) 67,22, 90
13. which is a power of 2 among the following :
14. A, B and C are given as :
A = 11011011
B = 01111010
C = 01101101
Find the decimal equivalent value of (AUB)^C where ^ denotes Intersection
15.A, B,C are mechanisms used separately to reduce fuel wastage by 30%, 20 % and
105. what'll b the fuel economy if they were used combined?
16. If $ means tripling and % means change of sign, then find the value of :
%$%9 - $%$9
17. some questions with venn diagram where people speaking hindi, english &
bengali were given. 3 questions were asked like how many speak hindi and not
english, how many total people were there etc...
18. 3 questions were given on data interpretation using a bar chart nad a pie
: 3 passages, 12 questions, 30
all the 250 critical reasoning passages from barrons 12th or 13th edition model
test papers 1 to 5. u'll get 100% common questions. names may be changed...
my passages were:
1. armenian, latin, celtic language courses......
2. Big university,small college 3 member team. 2 representatives of the big
3. seating arrangement....
its observed, they always give 2 easier and one harder critical reasoning
HEY GUYS, IF U HAVE AN ONLINE TEST, & IF AFTER THE EXAM YOUR PSYCHOMETRIC
WINDOW OPENS UP ON THE SCREEN BE ALMOST SURE THAT U HAVE CLEARED THE APTITUDE
TEST. otherwise also u can get selected depending on relative performance, but
this is an almost instant indication...
1. tell me something about urself...
me : am from kolkata,.. schooling... extra currics... various organizations tht
am a member of in college... course in fine arts... fav subjects... He stopped
2. how'll u insert an item in a doubly linked list?
3. diff between doubly n singly linked list
4. tell me about the complexity of bubble sort n explain bubble sort method
5. tell me about ur project. ( mine was 2-pass assembler)
6. wht happens in these 2 passes?
7. U r given a number X, u've to divide it by 256 without using any arithmetic
operator. how'll u do it?
(Hint: convert it to binary, n then shift 8 places rightwards... as 2^8 is 256)
8. can u write a C program for this?
i said sir am very stressed out now... i'll take a bit time. he smiled n said
"ok debashis, u can go. it was nice talkin 2 u. the HR will get back to u soon."
1. seeing my resume , he said u r a bengali huh... so do u like oily food?
i said sir to me its the food tht matters not the quantity of oil in it. he
2. Tell me something about the Nandigram issue in west bengal n whts ur views on
3. Are u for or aginst the creation of SEZs?
i replied in for...
4. Tell me the full form of SEZ?
me: socio-economic zone. he started laughing. (actually it is Special economic
5. speak on any topic of ur choice for 2 mins. u can sit or stand.
i said i would prefer 2 stand. i spoke upon "should mobiles be banned in
6. any question for me?
i asked sir in PPT we were told something called "assurance systems",
can u pl brief me a bit about it.. he didnt know the answer. he said u can keep
this question for the HR in the next round
its just a formality. she asked me about myself. the explained me about the 2
year bond breaching of which will lead to a fine of 50,000..also asked if am
willing to work anywhere in india..
i said yes. Thts it....