Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Placement Paper Held on 28th January 2010
Section 3: CRITICAL
REASONING ( 12 questions , 30 minutes)
Directions 1-12: Answer the questions given below the
passage or statement as true, false or can’t say.
PASSAGE : My father has no brothers. He has three sisters
who has two child’s each.
Answer 1-5 based on the passage
1. My grandfather has two sons .
2. Three of my aunts have two sons
Ans. Can’t say
3. My father is only child to his father
4. I have six cousins from my mother side
Ans. Can’t say
5. I have one uncle
Ans. Can’t say (uncle can be from the mother’s side as well)
PASSAGE: Ether injected into gallbladder to dissolve cholesterol based
gallstones. This type one day treatment is enough for gallstones not for calcium
stones. This method is alternative to surgery for millions of people who are
suffering from this disease.
Answer questions 6-9 based on passage
6.Calcium stones can be cured in one day
7. Hundreds of people contains calcium stones
Ans. Can’t say
8. Surgery is the only treatment to calcium stones
9. Ether will be injected into the gallbladder to cure the
cholesterol based gall stones
PASSAGE : Hacking is illegal entry into another computer. This happens
mostly because of lack of knowledge of computer networking. With networks one
machine can access to another machine. Hacking go about without knowing that
each network is accredited to use network facility.
Answer questions 10-12 based on passage
10. Hackers never break the code of the company which they
Ans. Can’t say
11. Hacking is the only vulnerability of the computers for
the usage of the data
12.Hacking is done mostly due to the lack of computer
THOSE WHO CLEAR APTITUDE PORTIONS OF THE TEST ARE ELIGIBLE FOR
Exactly similar to old pattern and old questions. Total 150 questions
Section 4: PSYCHOMETRY (30
In this section you will find different questions with the same meaning. In all
such questions your answer has to be same. for e.g.:
In being thrown by chance with a stranger, you wait for the person to introduce
himself or herself.
(a) Yes (b) No (c) ?
It is difficult for you to chat about things in general with people.
(a) Yes (b) No (c) ?
These two questions have similar meanings. If you answer the first one ‘NO’
and the second one ‘YES’, i.e. if you differ in your answers to similar
questions you lose marks for every question with the above meaning.
The choices to these questions are:
1. You start to work on a project with great deal of enthusiasm.
2. You would rather plan an activity than take part in it.
3. You have more than once taken lead in organizing project or a group of some
4. You like to entertain guests.
5. Your interests change quickly from one thing to another.
6. When you eat a meal with others, you are usually one of the last to finish.
7. You believe in the idea that we should ” eat, drink and be merry, for
tomorrow we die.”
8. When you find that something you have bought is defective, you hesitate to
demand an exchange or a refund.
9. You find it easy to find new acquaintances.
10. You are sometimes bubbling over with energy and sometimes very sluggish.
11. You are happiest when you get involved in some projects that calls for rapid
12. Other people think of you as being very serious minded.
13. In being thrown by chance with a stranger, you wait for the person to
introduce himself or herself.
14. You like to take part in many social activities.
15. You sometimes feel “just miserable” for no good reason at all.
16. You are often so much ” on the go” that sooner or later you may wear
17. You like parties you attend to be lively.
18. If you hold an opinion that is radically different that expressed by a
lecturer, you are likely to tell the person about it either during or after the
19. It is difficult for you to chat about things in general with people.
20. You give little thought to your failures after they are passed.
21. You often wonder where others get all the excess energy they seem to have.
22. You are inclined to stop to think things over before you act.
23. You avoid arguing over a price with a clerk or sales person.
24. You would dislike very much to work alone in some alone place.
25. You often find it difficult to go to sleep at night because you keep
thinking of what happened during the day.
26. You find yourself hurrying to get to places even when there is plenty of
27. You like work that requires considerable attention to details.
28. You are satisfied to let some one else take the lead in group activities.
29. You enjoy getting acquainted with people.
30. It takes a lot to get you emotionally stirred up or excited.
31. You work more slowly and deliberately than most people of your sex and age.
32. You are a carefree individual.
33. When people do not play fair you hesitate to say anything about it to them.
34. It bothers you to have people watch you at your work.
35. You have usually been optimistic about your future.
36. You like to have plenty of time to stop and rest.
37. You take life very seriously.
38. You enjoy applying for a job in person.
39. You would like to be a host or hostess for parties at club.
40. You often feel uncomfortable or uneasy.
41. You are the kind of person who is “on the go” all the time.
42. You often crave excitement.
43. The thought of making a speech frightens you.
44. You find it easy to start conversation with strangers.
45. You often feel guilty without a very good reason for it.
46. People think you are a very energetic person.
47. You sometimes make quick decisions that you later wish you hadn’t made.
48. You find it difficult to ask people for money or other donations, even for a
cause in which you are interested.
49. You are so naturally friendly that people immediately feel at ease with you.
50. You daydream a great deal.
51. You are quick in your actions.
52. You have a habit of starting things and then losing interest in them.
53. When you were a child many of your playmates naturally expected you to be
54. You sometimes avoid social contacts for fear of doing or saying the wrong
55. You have frequent ups and downs in mood, sometimes with and sometimes
without apparent cause.
56. You always seem to have plenty of vigour and vitality.
57. It is difficult for you to understand people who get very concerned about
58. When a clerk in a store waits on others who come after you, you call his or
her attention to the fact.
59. You would be very unhappy if you were prevented from making numerous social
60. There are times when your future looks very dark.
61. You sometimes wish that people would slow down a bit and give you a chance
to catch up.
62. Many of your friends think you take your work too seriously.
63. You hesitate to walk into a meeting when you know that everyone’s eye will
be upon you.
64. You limit your friendships mostly to members of your own sex.
65. You almost always feel well and strong.
66. You seem to lack the drive necessary to get as much as other people do.
67. You make decisions on the spur of the moment.
68. You are rather good at bluffing when you find yourself in difficulty.
69. After being introduced to someone , you just cannot think of things to say
to make good conversation.
70. You feel lonesome even when with other people.
71. You are able to work for unusually long hours without feeling tired.
72. You often act on the first thought that comes into your head.
73. At the scene of an accident, you take an active part in helping out.
74. You have difficulty in making new friends.
75. Your mood often changes from happiness to sadness or vice versa without
76. You talk more slowly than most people.
77. You like to play practical jokes upon others.
78. You take the lead in putting life into a dull party.
79. You would like to belong to as many clubs and social organizations as
80. There are times when your mind seems to work very slowly and other times
when it works very rapidly.
81. You like to do things slowly and deliberately.
82. You are a happy-go-lucky individual.
83. When you are served stale or inferior food in a restaurant, you say nothing
84. You would rather apply for a job by writing a letter than by going through
with a personal interview.
85. You are often in low spirits.
86. You are inclined to rush from one activity to another without pausing enough
87. You are so concerned about the future that you do not get as much fun out of
the present as you might.
88. When you are attracted to a person whom you have not met earlier you make an
active attempt to get
acquainted even though it may be quite difficult.
89. You are inclined to limit your acquaintances to select few
90. you seldom give your past mistakes a second thought.
91. You are less energetic than many people you know.
92. You often stop to analyzed your thoughts and feelings.
93. You speak out in meetings to oppose those whom you feel sure are wrong.
94. You are so shy it bothers you.
95. You are sometimes bothered by having a useless thought come into your mind
over and over.
96. You get things in hurry.
97. It is difficult for you to understand how some people can be so unconcerned
about the future.
98. You lie to sell things (i.e. to act as a sales person)
99. You are often “Life of the Party”.
100. You find daydreaming very enjoyable.
101. At work or at play other people find it hard to keep up with the pace you
102. You can listen to a lecture without feeling restless.
103. You would rather work for a good boss than for yourself.
104. You can express yourself more easily in speech than in writing.
105. You keep in fairly uniform spirits.
106. You dislike to be hurried in your work.
107. You sometimes find yourself “crossing bridges before you come to them”.
108. You find it somewhat difficult to say “no” to a sales person who tries to
sell you something you do not really want.
109. There are only a few friends with whom you can relax and have a good time.
110. You usually keep cheerful in spite of trouble.
111. People sometimes tell you to “slow down” or “take it easy”.
112. You are one of those who drink or smoke more than they know they should.
113. When you think you recognize people you see in a public place, you ask them
whether you have met them before.
114. You prefer to work alone.
115. Disappointment affect you so little that you seldom think about them twice.
116. You are slow and deliberate in movements.
117. You like wild enthusiasm, sometimes to a point bordering on rowdyism at a
football or baseball game.
118. You feel self conscious in the presence of important people.
119. People think of you as being a very social type of person.
120. You have often lost sleep over your worries.
121. You can turn out a large amount of work in a short time.
122. You keep at a task until it is done, even after nearly everyone else has
123. You can think of a good excuse when you need one.
124. Other people say that it is difficult to get to know you well.
125. You daydreams are often about things that can never come true.
126. You often run upstairs taking two steps at a time.
127. You seldom let your responsibility interfere with your having a good time.
128. You like to take on important responsibilities such as organizing a new
129. You have hesitated to make or to accept “dates” because of shyness.
130. Your mood is very easily influenced by people around you.
131. Others are often amazed by the amount of work you turn out.
132. You generally feel as though you haven’t a care in the world.
133. You find it difficult to get rid of sales person whom you do not care to
listen or give your time.
134. You are a listener rather than a talker in a social conversation.
135. You almost always feel that life is very much worth living.
136. It irritates you to have to wait at a crossing for a long freight train to
137. You usually say what you feel like saying at the moment.
138. You like to speak in public.
139. You like to be with people.
140. You generally keep cool and think clearly in exciting situations.
141. Other people regard you as a lively individual.
142. When you get angry, if you let yourself go, you feel better.
143. You seek to avoid all trouble with other people.
144. People seem to enjoy being with you.
145. You sometimes feel listless and tired for no good reason.
146. It is hard to understand why many people are so slow and get so little
147. You are fond of betting on horse races and games, whether you can afford it
148. If someone you know has been spreading untrue and bad stories about you,
you see the person as soon as possible and have a talk about it.
149. Shyness keep you from being as popular as you should be.
150. You are generally free from worry about possible misfortunes