Top GD Tips : GROUP--DISCUSSION
General Interview Tips And Tricks
DO's For a GD :-
1. SPEAK - very important
2. Be a good listener
3. Address the whole group,not a
4. Initiate & Begin - BUT only
if u have a good point
5. Utilize the lull - speak when
others r quite
6. Be Involved
7. BE Coherent
DON'Ts For a GD :
1. Don't be INERT
2. Don't be too AGGRESSIVE either
3. Avoid one to one discussions
4. Don't Rush
5. Avoid Hindi
6. Don't Interrupt Abruptly - to
calm down say
" you are
right..............but I Think ..........."
GD - Points Marked on :
1. Audibility : Communication
skills , Sell urself
2. Analysis : supported by facts
3. Content : Obtain by good reading
4. Team Work
5.Demeanor : Body Language counts,
don't sit cross-legged
6. Leadership : People should
listen and agree to u
GD Types :
1. Factual : Disinvestment
, India 's GDP ,
2. Controversial : Foreign
3. Abstract : The Blu Dot , Girl
4. Case Study :
1. A situation is given, we have to
find a solution to the problem existing
2. Order things according to
priority and give reasons
5. Group Task : Important for
Necessity of a GD:-
1. Clarity of thoughts.
2. Team spirit.
3. Listening skill.
Points to be remembered for
a good GD.
1. Body language.
2. Thinking a few minutes before
starting of a GD.
3. Don't feel anyone is better than
4. Don't mix your personal emotions
5. continues with your ideas. Don't
let it down when any body try to stop in chaos period.
6. Select a different point of
view; stronger one that attracts other eyes and idea.
7. Never blame anyone there. Don't
talk to one person talk to all of them so that there is a pleasing atmosphere.
8. Lend your ears to every one's
point of view and timely attack them considering all.
9. Don't look at conductors.
10. Speak slowly and
11. Tell a lie confidently but some
relevant data so that you could not be caught.
12. Never contradict yourself.
13. Always support the IIMA guy;
may be that is you.
14. What ever is the topic don't
leave fighting; something about that you always know.
15. Never conclude the topic, until
it is asked to do so.
16. Fight for speaking, snatch
17. Be precise and have a strong
point to speak.
Different parts of a GD: - (considering
a 15 minutes GD).
period. (1-2 minutes).
ideas. (7-8 minutes).
on ideas. (5-6 minutes).
(rarely comes; ? - 1 minutes)
discussion is a ?rejection procedure? not a selecting one.
body is winning means you are losing the game.
is always better than you?, believe this.
Tip 1 : Brushing up on
your general awareness is a must. Being aware of current affairs and issues and
happenings, which affect our lives, however remotely, shows a well-rounded
personality. Interest in one's environment is an essential quality for a
manager, as only when he is well informed about all the facets is he able to
take correct decisions. Make a habit of reading newspapers like TOI and Economic
Times and general interest and business magazines like Frontline, Outlook and
Tip 2 : Being aware of current happenings is not enough.
One must also form opinions on those happenings and issues that arise. Think
about what you feel about different issues, say, terrorism. Write down your
thoughts. Ask yourself why you feel that way, what are the premises underlying
your thoughts and beliefs. Also question whether your point of view is based on
facts, or on opinions and hearsay.
Tip 3 : The
process of opinion formation is incomplete without getting inputs from others.
Get into the habit of discussing issues with your friends and family. Hear
multiple points of view. Listen, question and argue. Express your opinion. If
you are proven wrong, accept it with good grace. Modify your opinions as you go
along. This will help you clear your own thought process plus it will get you
into the habit of discussion.
Tip 4 : While
discussing, learn to check your temper. Maybe you'll find others holding view
which are abhorrent to you. But remember that they have a right to their
opinions. Everyone does. Learn to respect their points of views even if you
don't accept them. It shows maturity on your part. This will be a good training
for controlling your emotions, which is of utmost importance in a GD.
Tip 5 : Practice:
Try and mobilize other people who are interested in GDs and simulate GDs. Get
someone who has been through GDs before to observe it and give you feedback on
your performance. It is better if the group consists of people who you don't
know too well