WIPRO Placement Paper (Aptitude and
Technical) 27 January 2010 | PART -1
Questions = 50 ; time limit = 50 minutes. no negative marking. Offline
(paper & pen) test
Section1- English, 15 questions
Directions 1-5 : Pick out the most effective word from the given words to
fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete
1. While facts are ________ and data hard to come by, even scientists
occasionally throw side the professional pretense of
______ and tear into each other with shameless appeals to authority and
arguments that shameless appeals to authority and
arguments that are unabashedly ad hominid.
c. demonstrate .. neutrality
2. While the disease is in ______ state it is almost impossible to determine its
existence by_____ .
a. a dormant ..postulate
b. a critical...examination
c. an acute ...analysis
d. a latent...observation
3. The storehouse was infested.........................rats.
A) by B) of C) with D) in
4. Please distribute these sweets........................the children
A) in B) between C) amid D) among
5. This custom seems to have originated .....................and East European
A) in B) from C) by D) with
Directions 6-10: The following questions, consist of two words each that have a
certain relationship to each other, followed by four lettered pairs of words.
Select the lettered pair that has the same relationship as the original pair of
6. OFFHAND : PREMEDITATION : :
a. upright : integrity b. aboveboard : guile c. cutthroat : competition d.
backward : direction
7. POLTERGEIST : APPARATION::
a. dwarf : stature b. witch : familiar c. ogre : monster d. sorcerer : spell
8.AVER : AFFIRMATION : :
a. proclaim: objection b. denounce : defiance c. refuse : distress d. demur :
9. Duralumin : Aircraft
A) Brass : Alloy B) Stone : Sculptor C) Iron : Steel D) Bronze : Statue
10. Cool : Frigid
A) Livid :Lurid B) Pool : Placid C) Tepid : Torried D) Lack : Abundant
Ans : C
Direction 11-13 : In each of the following questions, find out which part of the
sentence has an error. if there is no mistake the answer is 'no error'
11. If I was you / I would have / terminated his services then and there / No
A B C D
Ans : A
12. as soon as I will reach Bombay / I will send / you the books / you have
asked for / No error
A B C D E
13. Our conception of / what should a science of mental life be / has changed
considerably since James' time / No error
A B C D
Ans : B
Directions 14-15 : In each of the following questions, a sentence has been given
in Active (or passive) voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested select the
one which best express the same sentence in Passive (or Active) Voice.
14. Do you imitate others ?
A) Are others imitated by you ?
B) Are others being imitated by you ?
C) Were others being imitated by you ?
D) Have others been imitated by you ?
Ans : A
15. I saw him conducting the rehearsal.
A) He was seen conducting the rehearsal
B) I saw the rehearsal to be conducted by him
C) He was seen by me to conduct the rehearsal
D) I saw the rehearsal being conducted by him
Ans : D
The questions 1-2 are based on the following data
6 people A,B,C,D,E and F sit around a table for dinner. Since A does not like C,
he doesn't sit either opposite or
beside C.B and F always like to sit opposite each other.
1. If A is beside F then who is are the two neighbours of B?
(a) D and C
(b) E and C
(c) D and E
(d) Either (a) or (b)
2. If D is adjacent to F then who is adjacent to C?
(a) E and B
(b) D and A
(c) D and B
(d) either (a) or (c)
3. Complete the sequence A, E ,I ,M ,Q ,U , _ , _
(a) B, F
(b) Y, C
(c) G, I
(d) K, O
4. If the letters of the word "rachit" are arranged in all possible ways and
these words are written out as in a dictionary,
what is the rank of the word "rachit".
5. Ravi's salary was reduced by 25%.Percentage increase to be effected to bring
the salary to the original level is
(c) 33 1/3%
6. A and B can finish a piece of work in 20 days .B and C in 30 days and C and A
in 40 days. In how many days
will A alone finish the job
(b) 34 2/7
7. How long will a train 100m long travelling at 72kmph take to overtake another
train 200m long travelling at 54kmph ?
(c) 1 min 15 sec
(d) 55 sec
8. What is the product of the irrational roots of the equation
9. The total population of a village is 5000. The number of males and females
increases by 10% and 15% respectively
and consequently the population of the village becomes 5600. what was the number
of males in the village ?
A) 2000 B) 2500 C) 3000 D) 4000
Ans : C
10. Fresh fruit contains 68% water and dry fruit contains 20% water. How much
dry fruit can be obtained from 100 kg
of fresh fruits ?
A) 32 kg B) 40 kg C) 52 kg D) 80 kg
Ans : B
11. If "segment" is coded as rffndou, then "ritual" is coded as
12. If "football" is "cricket" ,"cricket" is "basketball" ,"basketball" is "volleyball","volleyball"
is "khokho" and "khokho" is
cricket, which is not a ball game?
13. Which of the following is a recursive set of production
(a) S --> a|A, A --> S
(b) S --> a|A, A --> b
(c) S -->aA, A-->S
(d) None of these
14. A sum 's' is divided into 4 parts. second person gets Rs 10 more than
first.3rd person is Rs 10 more than second,
4th is 10 more than 3rd.how much amount do 1st person get.
15. One ship goes along the stream direction 28 km and in opposite direction 13
km in 5 hrs for each direction. What is the
velocity of stream?
Ans: 1.5 kmph
Section3-technical ,20 questions
1. What sorting algos have their best and worst case times equal ?
Ans. O(nlogn) for mergesort and heap sort
2. What page replacement algorithm has minimum number of page faults ?
Ans. Optimality algorithm
3. What is the use of virtual base class in c++
Ans. Multiple lines between derived classes.
4. Assignment operator targets to _____
5. A byte addressable computer has memory capacity of 2 power m Kbytes and can
perform 2 power n operations an
instruction involving three operands and one operator needs maximum
Ans. 3m + n
6. In round robin scheduling, if time quantum is too large then it degenerates
7. What data structures you should use for dictionary searching and it should be
capable of doing spell check also ?
8. What is the value of 121 base 4 + 84 base 16 ?
Ans : 2130
9. When the fn. is called where the return address is stored?
10. C program code
int zap (int n)
if (n<=1)then zap=1;
then the call zap(6) gives the values of zap
[a] 8 9 [c] 6 [d] 12 [e] 15
11. Virtual memory size depends on
[a] address lines [b] data bus
[c] disc space [d] a & c [e] none
Ans : a
12. Critical section is
Ans: statements which are accessing shared resources
13. In which layer ROUTING is performed ?
Ans. Network Layer
14. What is the output of the following code snippet
15. Which one has no L-Value
A a[i] B. i C. 2 D. *(a+i)
Ans . C
16. Which is true for binary search ?
A Traversal scheme B. Greedy algorithm
C. Divide and conquer algorithm D. none of these
17. What is the protocol used for getting the physical address by supplying IP
address of a node ?
A. ARP B. RARP C. BOOTP D. DHCP
18. Which is not an OS?
a) Win 3.1 b) Win 95
c) Win 98 d) Win 2000
19. Tcp/ip is
a) connectionless b) connection oriented c) both a & b d) none
20. A sorting algorithm which can prove to be a best time algorithm in one case
and a worst time algorithm in worst case is
(a) Quick Sort (b) Heap Sort (c) Merge Sort (d) Insert Sort