Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Placement Paper Held on 28th January 2010
1) APTITUDE TEST:
Questions = 82 ; time limit = 90 minutes. no negative marking. Offline
(paper & pen) test and a PSYCHOMETRY TEST also.
Section 1: VERBAL ( 32 Questions
,20 minutes )
Directions for questions 1-10:Find the synonyms of the following words
A. appreciation B. Deflation C. rise D. None of these
A Condition B Inspect C. Cautious D Reckless
A. Slight B. Deep C. Illustrious D. Terrible
A. hardworking B. delinquent C. neglectful D. remiss
A. Passionate B. Confess C. Noisy D Moqulis
A. Connect B. Crucial C. Stimulus D Immediate
A. Abbreviation B. Similar C. analogous D. correspondent
A. Forecast B. Spread C Barns D. unextended
A. Naval B. Uncommon C. Fore Runner D. Glory
A. light B. cumbersome C. interesting D. None of these
Directions for questions 11-20:Find the Antonyms of the following words
A. Objectionable B. Enjoyable C. Adaptable D. Obstinate
A. Manifest B. Invisible C. Scared D. Alter
A. Repentant B. Sad C. Thoughtless D. Careless
A. Aggravate B. Relieve C. Eliminate D. Exhume
A. Contrary B. Coming Together C. Conversant D. Controversy
A. Skeptical B. Resilient C. Stubborn D. Suspicious
A. Hold B. Grab C. Release D. Spread
A. Bulky B. Speckled C. Homogeneous D. Different
A. Pursue B. Vanquish C. Destroy D. Devastate
(I) Permanent (Ii) Removed C. ephemeral D. passing
Directions for Questions 21-26:
Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the
information provided in the passage.
Nature is like business. Business sense dictates that we guard our capital
and live from the interest. Nature’s capital is the enormous diversity of living
things. Without it, we cannot feed ourselves, cure ourselves of illness or
provide industry with the raw materials of wealth creation. Professor Edward
Wilson, of Harvard University says,” The folly our descendants are least likely
to forgive us is the ongoing loss of genetic and spices diversity. This will
take millions of years to correct”.
Only 150 plant species have ever been widely cultivated. Yet over 75000
edible plants are known in the wild. In a hungry world, with a population
growing by 90 million each year, so much wasted potential in tragic. Medicines
from the wild are worth around 40 billion dollars a year. Over 5000 species are
known to yield chemical with cancer fighting potential Scientists currently
estimate that the total number of species in the world is between 10-30 million
with only around 1.4 million identified.
The web of life is torn when mankind exploits natural resources in
short-sighted ways. The trade in tropical hardwoods can destroy whole forests to
extract just a few commercially attractive specimens. Bad agricultural practice
triaggers 24 billion tonnes of top soil erosion a year losting the equivalent of
9 million tonnes of grain output. Cutting this kind of unsuitable exploitation
and instituting “sustainable utilisation” will help turn the environmental
21. Why does the author compare ‘nature’ to business ?
A) Because of the capital depletion in nature and business
B) Because of the similarity with which one should use both
C) Because of the same interest level yield
D) Because of the diversity of the various capital inputs.
Ans : B
22. “The folly our descendants are least likely to forgive us”. What is
the business equivalent of the folly the author is referring to ?
A) Reducing the profit margin
B) Not pumping some money out of profits into the business
C) Eroding the capital lease of the business
D) Putting interest on capital back into the business
23. Which of the following statements in false in context of the given
A) The diversity of plant life is essential for human existence
B) Scientists know the usefulness of most plat species
C) Chemicals for cancer treatment are available from plants.
D) There are around ten times the plant species undiscovered as compared to the
24.Which of the following correctly reflects the opinion of the author to
take care of hunger of the world ?
A) Increase the number of the edible plants being cultivates.
B) Increase cultivation of the 150 species presently under cultivation
C) Increase the cultivation of medical plants
D) Increase the potential of the uncultivated edible plants ?
25. Which of the following is mentioned as the immediate cause for the
destruction of plant species ?
A) Soil Erosion B) Destruction of habitat C) Cultivation D) Agricultural
26. Choose the word which is nearly same in meaning to the given word as
used in the passage,. Wasted
A) Consumed B) Squandered C) Unutilized D) Unprofitable
Directions 27-32 : Pick out the most effective word
from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully
27. Priya is not…………. for this kind of a job
A) cut in B) cut up C) cut through D) cut out
Ans : D
28. He left the book……………. the telephone
A) around B) beside C) besides D) at
Ans : B
29. The waiter took the plates……………..after we had finished eating
A) up B) off C) away D) out
Ans : C
30. It is fourteen years since I……………him
A) saw B) have seen C) did see D) had seen
Ans : A
31. I have done my muddled but……………….honest best
A) never the less B) rather C) none of these
Ans : C
32. It is mainly due to their lethargy that the plan fell……………….
A) over B) out C) through D) off
Ans : C
QUANTITATIVE/LOGICAL REASONING ( 38 questions , 40 minutes )
1. There are 150 weights .Some are 1 kg weights and some are 2 kg weights.
The sum of the weights is 260.
What is the number of 1kg weights?
2. A is driving on a highway when the police fines him for over speeding
and exceeding the limit by 10 km/hr. At the same time B is fined for over
speeding by twice the amount by which A exceeded the limit. If he was driving at
35 km/hr what is the speed limit for the road?
Ans. 15 kmph
3. A moves 3 kms east from his starting point . He then travels 5 kms
north. From that point he moves 8 kms to the east. How far is A from his
Ans. 13 kms
4. A car travels 12 kms with a 4/5th filled tank. How far will the car
travel with 1/3 filled tank?
Ans. 5 kms
5. The sum of the digits of a two digit number is 8. When 18 is added to
the number, the digits are reversed. Find the number?
6. The cost of one pencil, two pens and four erasers is Rs.22 while the
cost of five pencils, four pens and two erasers is Rs.32.How much will three
pencils, three pens and three erasers cost?
7. Fathers age is 5 times his son’s age. 4 years back the father was 9
times older than son. Find the fathers’ present age.
Ans. 40 years
8. What number should be added to or subtracted from each term of the
ratio17 : 24 so that it becomes equal to 1 : 2 ?
Ans. 10 should be subtracted
9. What is the 12th term of the series 2, 5, 8, ….
10. If 20 men take 15 days to to complete a job, in how many days can 25
men finish that work?
Ans. 12 days
11. In a fraction, if 1 is added to both the numerator at the denominator,
the fraction becomes 1/2. If numerator is subtracted from the denominator, the
fraction becomes 3/4. Find the fraction.
12. If Rs.1260 is divided between between A, B and C in the ratio 2:3:4,
what is C’s share?
Ans. Rs. 560
13. A shopkeeper bought a watch for Rs.400 and sold it for Rs.500.What is
his profit percentage?
14. What percent of 60 is 12?
15. Hansie made the following amounts in seven games of cricket in India:
Rs.10, Rs.15, Rs.21, Rs.12, Rs.18, Rs.19 and Rs.17(all figures in crores of
course).Find his average earnings.
Ans. Rs.16 crore
16. If two pencils cost 8 cents, then how much do 5 pencils cost?
Ans. 20 cents
17. Some work is done by two people in 24 minutes. One of them can do this
work alone in 40 minutes. How much time does the second person take to do the
same work ?
Ans. 60 minutes
18. A car is filled with four and half gallons of fuel for a round trip.If
the amount of fuel taken while going is 1/4 more than the amount taken for
coming, what is the amount of fuel consumed while coming back?
19. The lowest temperature in the night in a city A is 1/3 more than 1/2
the highest during the day. Sum of the lowest temperature and the highest
temperature is 100 degrees. Then what is the low temp?
20. Javagal, who decided to go to weekened trip should not exceed 8 hours
driving in a day. The average speed of forward journey is 40 miles/hr.Due to
traffic on sundays, the return journey’s average speed is 30 m/h. How far he can
select a picnic spot?
Ans. 120 miles
21. A salesperson by mistake multiplied a number and got the answer as 3,
instead of dividing the number by 3.What is the answer he should have
22. A building with height D shadow upto G. What is the height of a
neighbouring building with a shadow of C feet.
23. A person was fined for exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph. Another
person was also fined for exceeding the same speed limit by twice the same. If
the second person was travelling at a speed of 35 mph, find the speed limit.
Ans. 15 mph
24 A bus started from bus stand at 8.00am, and after staying for 30
minutes at a destination, it returned back to the bus stand. The destination is
27 miles from the bus stand. The speed of the bus is 18mph. During the return
journey bus travels with 50% faster speed. At what time does it return to the
25. In a mixture, R is 2 parts and S is 1 part. In order to make S to 25%
of the mixture, how much of R is to be added?
Ans. One part of R
26. Wind flows 160 miles in 330 min, for travelling 80 miles how much time
does it require?
Ans. 2 hrs 45 mins
27. With a 4/5 full tank a vehicle can travel 12 miles, how far can it
travel with a 1/3 full tank
Ans. 5 miles
28. There are two trees in a lawn. One grows at a rate 3/5 of the other in
4 years. If the total growth of trees is 8 ft. What is the height of the smaller
tree after 2 years
Ans. 1 1/2 feet
29. Refer to the figure below. A ship started from P and moves at a speed
of I miles per hour and another ship starts from L and moving with H miles per
hour simultaneously .Where do the two ships meet?
PG H I J K L are the various stops in between denoted by || . The values g, h, i,
j, k, l denote the distance between the ports.
Ans. Between I and J, closer to J
30. If A is travelling at 72 km per hour on a highway. B is travelling at
a speed of 25 meters per second on a highway. What is the difference in their
speeds in m/sec.
Ans. 1 m/sec
31. If the word ‘ddosszm’ is changed to ‘central’ then what will be the
change for ‘rtjbl’ ?
32. The word unimpressive was given.they asked us to do change 1st &
2nd,3rd & 4th,so on.then they asked what will be 10th letter from right?
33. The ques on a man,a woman and a boy finish work together in 6 days.man
takes 10 days,woman takes 24 days then how much boy will take?
34. If DDMUQZM is coded as CENTRAL then RBDJK can be coded as ———
35. In the word ECONOMETRICS, if the first and second , third and forth
,forth and fifth, fifth and sixth words are interchanged up to the last letter,
what would be the tenth letter from right?
Ans. word is CENOMOTEIRSC tenth word is R
36.Find the physical quantity in units from the equation:
37. Find the value of @@+25-++@16, where @ denotes “square” and + denotes
38. If f(0)=1 and f(n)= f(n-1)*n, find the value of f(4).